Thursday, January 13, 2011

NCLEX Authorization To Test!

I think everyone has had times in their life when the meaning behind a word or a sentence had the ability to both thrill them and terrify them. As a parent, I can immediately imagine several:

"You're having twins!"
        Preschool
                 Snow Day
                         Driver's Ed
                               Juniors off to College
                                         "Mom, Dad, we have some good news..."

Well, some of you may be scratching your head over the "Snow Day" idea, but I think many parents will admit to feeling excited for their little ones over the prospect of having a day off school. Until reality sets in, anyway.

I am going somewhere with all of this dribble, as I'm sure you surmised by my title. Yesterday I opened my email and to my delight, found the notice I'd been waiting for since my graduation mid-December: My ATT! (Authorization To Test) This authorization from the Board of Nursing gives me the green light to schedule my appointment for what I have referred to as the holy grail of nursing exams: the NCLEX. I know what you're thinking, could this blog get anymore exciting? Well yes, it could. But will it? I don't know.

So with a click of my mouse, those four little words, NCLEX Authorization To Test have been liberated, and my whole world is about to change. Yes, I graduated from nursing school, and yes it was a major accomplishment and hefty change for this old lady (who will be knocking on the big 5-0 this year!). But without passing the NCLEX, without a nursing license, I will never be able to practice what I spent so many years learning: Delivering safe and effective nursing care.

So as I think about those four words, and the fact that the test is just five weeks away, I am, predictably, thrilled and terrified. This is it. It's showtime, baby. I have to put the pedal to the metal. This is the big enchilada. There are plenty more descriptive metaphors where that came from, but I don't want to nauseate my readers. After all, it's probably mealtime for someone, somewhere.

There is so much content to cover with the NCLEX, and not much of it can be memorized. The exam tests the students' body of nursing knowledge, but primarily it focuses on nursing judgment and discretion, the ability to think critically and problem solve. There are stacks of NCLEX review books available for purchase, not only to push you deeper into debt, but to help with the unique test-taking strategies involved for success with the NCLEX. I feel a bit like a soldier preparing for battle. Nursing school was Basic Training and now I'm being shipped off for The Test.


It's overwhelming (terror), it's exciting (thrill), and the simple reality is I have a lot of mental activity ahead. Translated, I should be studying, not blogging.

Since I've run out of reasons to procrastinate, and as I begin to experience the "joy" of the thrill ride that is the NCLEX preparation, I will keep two items close by. One, my stethoscope which is a tangible, visual reminder of everything I have accomplished and will accomplish with this exam. 


Second, a warehouse size bottle of antacids and a chuck-it bucket.

Disgusting. I guess this blog did get exciting, didn't it?

5 comments:

  1. Oh Laura, you make me laugh, smile and cry all in a few paragraphs. I kind of feel like I've hitched an illegal ride on this nursing journey of yours. You do all the work, I have all the fun watching. I have so much confidence and faith in your ablility to ace this test. Afterwards, in your spare time, I think you should write a little novel about this nursing journey. It will become an instant best seller (after being chosen as OPRAH's final book-club selection), you'll be rich, and you can take our whole family on a cruise around the world. See, it's simple. Good luck hon. Now stop reading and study, study, puke, and study! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. If you are really quick about it, we can stop and pick up Nick in Australia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda,
    Thanks for the sweet, funny comments! But you know, writing a little novel is a whole lot different than rambling on in this bitty blog of mine. But I would like your idea about being rich, taking the family for cruises, etc. However, I doubt I could get Nick to board the ship. He's smitten with Australia. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he's transferred to their university and is out looking for a job right now...YIKES! Probably shouldn't have said that.
    Anyway, I just like to write, and the opportunity to write whatever I want, whenever I want is really neat. It's a good outlet for me, I guess. Thanks for reading (it's nice to have an appreciative audience) and I love your last line, "study, study, puke, and study!" That's about it! Stay tuned for more thrilling adventures....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura,

    I am friends with Nikki on FB and came upon your blog. You are a gifted and talented writer! I am looking forward following your blog, as I graduate from the OCC nursing program in May. I feel as though I am getting a firsthand glimpse of my future. It feels good to have someone paving the way while I tag along. Thank you for sharing your experiences!
    Best of luck on the NCLEX. YOU CAN DO IT!!!
    Sincerely,
    Lisa Fisher

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lisa!

    Thank you so much for those very kind compliments. I really appreciate it, you made my day! I love to write, and it is very gratifying to know that others enjoy what I have to spew out, oops, I mean say.
    So.....you're in the home stretch now, only it probably doesn't feel like it quite yet, does it? Just hang in there, you will get there. What rotation are you in right now? If I can ever throw in my 2 cents, just let me know!
    Now, back to studying.
    Take care,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete