Saturday, March 26, 2011

Birthday Steakhouse Celebrations

Last night our family celebrated two birthday's at a popular Japanese steakhouse. Our sons, being the eating machines that they are, were very happy with this decision and for good reason. The food is delicious. The experience begins with soup and from there the food just starts flying off that hot grill at a steady pace. One can walk away, appetite satisfied, or one can be rolled away in a stretcher from overindulgence. Thankfully for us, dining out didn't involve an ambulance ride.

While watching our chef perform his antics with sharp knives, spatulas, and other culinary devices, a thought occurred to me. Here was a man who'd "performed" for hundreds, perhaps thousands of people before us. Yet he looked as though he was enjoying himself, despite the fact that he'd done this so many times before. We've seen chefs that look, well downright bored. As if they're just showing up. What a difference, I thought to myself, between being at work and being at work.

We returned home to face an enormous chocolate cake, which of course would be enormous given the fact that it was a Costco warehouse chocolate cake. Because the thought of eating it reduced most of us to tears, we postponed the candle lighting, singing, slicing mayhem for later.


The boys are back in town again

It also occurred to me during our celebrating that it had been three whole months since we'd all been together as a family. Having the two oldest home from college at the same time has been a real treat and brings tears to this emotional mothers eyes. My husband and I just look at each other, amidst the loud wrestling, and other crazy things that those two do when they get together, and smile. Behind our smiles are two meanings: One, "we really miss that", and two, "my goodness they're loud, when will they be leaving?"

New computer, haven't a clue

Our old computer, nicknamed Bessie, has begun gasping her last breaths, thanks to some nasty viruses obtained by who knows who, what, where, when, and most importantly, why. So we used our tax return dollars and bought this nifty laptop, which our sons have informed us, is more powerful than theirs. I suppose that is really saying something, but I wouldn't know. Since I still continue to use mine as little more than a word processor, it will take a lifetime to decipher all this thin machine with keyboard has to offer. I do know I am blessed to have it, because it's presence means I can continue to blog. I can continue to communicate, socialize, research, bank, and a lot more thanks to this little gizmo. What could be better?

Chocolate cake. Now that I understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment