Sunday, May 20, 2012

On Migraines, The Avengers, Class of 2012 and Getting Old. Very Old.





This sleep deprived weekend has given me a headache

 I'm enjoying a beautiful sunny day, with two hours to go before I have to drag myself off the couch and into the shower (do I really have to worry about personal hygiene?) before the last day of my "on" 3-day weekend shift. I woke up with a migraine, not a great start to the morning, but I am fortunate to have medication that really kicks the crap out of the headache. It isn't a narcotic either, which is a good thing. I don't think it would be good to report to work stoned, so to speak.



 The Avengers at a theater near you

In my absence yesterday evening, my husband and son saw the movie "The Avengers". They enjoyed it, despite the fact that I wasn't there, which always dampens their spirits. Really? Well, no. My son was a little annoyed when his dad pointed out the impossibility of a scene where one of the characters reached out and grabbed a plane that was going Mach 1 or something. He does that sometimes. Mostly he just goes along for the ride, but once and awhile the engineer in him rears its ugly head. Don't hate me honey. You know I love you. Honey? Where are you going?

It was just a matter of time

Not actual mother, only representation for visual purposes..

Switching gears, my elderly mother is continuing to adjust to the loss of her freedom following her children's decision to take away her keys, and subsequently, her car. It has been several months now, and a bumpy ride for her and all of her children. Her reaction has been a roller coaster of resentment, acceptance, resentment, acceptance, etc. None of us wanted to put her through this ride, but all of us agreed it was time, both for her safety and for everyone else on the road. I only live about 45 minutes away, but still find it difficult to visit as much as I would like. Phone calls fill this gap, but even this is often difficult for me. She is usually very down, our conversations depressing and confusing (which is a major factor in our decision to take away her car). I feel guilty and selfish to be so concerned about how it makes me feel, which only intensifies the guilt.

I once read a bumper sticker that shouted Growing Old: It Ain't for Sissies! I could be wrong, but I don't think the word sissy is at all related to the taunting term used for males who don't live up to masculine expectations.
I could be wrong, but I don't think I needed to explain the use of the word "sissy".

Whatever.


Not my niece, classmates, or school colors. Also, how do they know which cap is theirs?
June Graduation, Class of 2012!

The other day, we received a nice surprise in our mailbox. Nice because it wasn't another hunk of junk mail, and nice because it wasn't another flipping bill (as if we'd pay it anyway). I jest, evil Bill Collection Agencies.

It was nice because it was the announcement of my niece's high school graduation. Her photo graces the front of the announcement, absolutely adorable and soo grown up.

This makes me ill.

I'm sick because I realize I am getting very, very old. I am in utter and complete denial that she has reached this milestone. I was just cradling her in my arms five years ago. How dare she grow up.

Damn her!

Nonetheless, I am very proud of her, which is surely only a smidgin of the pride felt by her parents. My "baby" sister will probably have on display pictures of my niece as a baby, toddler, preschooler and elementary student, preteen and teen pictures of her maturing through the years. And I will cry.

Damn her!


No comments:

Post a Comment