Thursday, March 31, 2011

Invincible? I think not!


Yesterday, I discovered just how slippery a tile floor can be when it is wet.

I had a close encounter with ours in the bathroom yesterday. I'll skip the gruesome details for obvious reasons, but I will report that I fell, hard, on my rear and have the ugly bruises to prove it. I can't believe how stupid I was, it was a completely avoidable incident, but then again, aren't they all? We believe we're invincible, that slip and falls happen to other people. And then it happens to us and we're down for the count, lying there in shock, wondering if what just happened really did, indeed just happen.

Luckily for me, no serious harm was done, as my bones are nice and tough and held up well to the grizzly fall. I realize now how much worse it could have been. Now, I'm just hobbling around, dealing with the aftermath of tush vs. tile. The worst part is of course, sitting. Even the soft sofa is excruciating, and all I have are bruises. I can't imagine a broken hip. I think my fall was a wake up call to my attitude of invincibility. Also, I believe suffering of any kind is valuable as a nurse, as it helps in being able to identify with patients on a very tangible level with their own suffering.




I'd like the opportunity to practice that identification, sooner rather than later. If anyone reading this happens to be a nurse recruiter, I know a certain nurse grad looking for work...






No comments:

Post a Comment