Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Big Picture

One of the most difficult things for me concerning studying for The Beast, as I like to think of this exam, (thanks to my RN friend Denise for the idea) has been keeping my mind on the task at hand, and not looking at the "Big Picture".

What do I mean by that? I confess that I have always been the type of person who impatiently wants to hear the Great Summary of Life. I want to hear the abbreviated version of any person's story. I want them to cut to the chase, get to the point, get on with it while I still have my wits about me, etc. If you've read any of my previous blogs, you know I don't write by this same rule, curiously enough!
Studying for NCLEX has been no different. I am constantly tempted to look at the big picture, and gulp down every big chunk of what it is I am supposed to know before I even step into the testing center. And because I know this is impossible, and that I am setting myself up for disappointment, I find myself faltering at best, and just plain throwing in the towel at worst. Okay, I know, enough with the metaphors.

The point I am failing miserably to convey here is that you can not, must not look at the big picture. At least not on a regular basis. You've got to take The Beast in small bites.
If you don't, not only will you get a severe case of indigestion, you will find yourself tempted to just give up. That's been me from time to time. Don't be that person.

The amount of material covered is daunting, but since you have no idea what questions are going to pop up on that computer screen once you sit your fanny down to test, you have to at least make an attempt to review all of it. Some students like to cover different areas at a time, for example respiratory, cardiovascular, acid/base balance, etc. Other students have advised to just plunge right into the randomly mixed questions, because that is the way they'll be presented in The Beast. There is no right or wrong, just what works for you, and doesn't dissolve you to tears, blindly searching for the Kleenex.

The NCLEX experts recommend doing 100 questions each day, for 30 days, before the exam. That's 3000 questions. (Yes, I did that math in my head). So find the method that works and Stick to It. If you don't you will find a thousand reasons to stall, postpone, ignore and procrastinate.

Like I just did by writing this blog.  I think I need an NCLEX intervention.





No comments:

Post a Comment