Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Procrastination Station


 My title says it all.

Well, maybe not. I just assume sometimes that everyone reading my blog knows what I mean. Of course this is not always the case. In reality, I suppose this is never the case for some readers.

To explain my title, most people probably get the procrastination part. The second word may have some scratching their heads. Scratching either because they haven't a clue what I'm talking about, or scratching because they need to buy more Head and Shoulders.

In any event, the word station is in my title because it rhymes with procrastination. That's stupid, I know, and only a partial explanation of the word. Station refers to the space I usually occupy while blogging; my couch. (Some refer to this piece of furniture as a sofa, but I've always associated that word with a furniture piece in a stuffy 'front room' that no one has ever sat on. Ever.)
But I'm off the track again, as usual.

My desire to blog usually happens sometime during the day when I have at least a dozen other things I should be doing. So I procrastinate, which I reason, is a really productive use of my time. For instance, I have a load of dry bed sheets that have long since completed their cycle, with a wet load of towels up next. As well as another load of dirty laundry on deck. Since I have to report for afternoon shift today, I don't have a lot of time to waste. So I chose to procrastinate instead. (Which really means the same thing, but don't tell me.)

Sometimes procrastination is a good thing. The choice to do so gives you a much needed break from the necessary everyday chores of life. But as most would agree, procrastination can get us into a whole heap of trouble. It robs us of precious time for productivity, it is the reason for our tardiness, it brings on the body's stress inducing 'fight or flight' response, etc.

So begs the question, why do so many of us do this? Well, I can't answer for everyone, but for me, it's sorta like living on the edge. You have read right.
Not the kind of 'edge' like rock climbing, hang-gliding or sky diving. Those activities are for sissies. I'm referring to the "if I don't get my tail in gear I'm going to be late for my audience with the pope, or my dinner date with Mr. President", or some other such nonsense. But these idiotic examples have conveyed my point, I hope.


Meanwhile, my coffee has grown cold, the clock is ticking, the family will blow a gasket if they don't have clean clothes, and most importantly, I've run out of things to say.


So for now, I will abandon my station, end my procrastination, and join the rest of the productive world.


I just wish I didn't have to do it right now.


Sigh...

No comments:

Post a Comment