Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Did I have a life before my smart phone?


 
Just as I predicted, I am playing with my new phone. A lot. I suppose that is to be expected. After all, it is my new electronic gadget/wizard/phone. I am mesmerized by all it can do. I am puzzled by all I don't understand about what it can do. But I have to back track for a moment.

This past Saturday morning, I was sitting on the couch, in a stupor from the previous afternoon shift from hell. I was not in the most pleasant of moods, and my family knew it. For awhile, they tip toed around me, aware that one false move on their part and I would turn on them like a rabid dog.

Thankfully, I began to emerge from this frightful version of myself, due mostly to my coffee-caffeine nudge. Soon, my son no longer feared for his life and began to talk to me. I was exhausted from three hours of sleep, but was anxious to spend some time with hubby and son to hear about their evening events in my absence.

After a time, my husband decided to go for a ride on his new Harley, what my son and I lovingly refer to as "The Death Trap". (A subject for a future blog, I guess.)  He wanted to run an errand yet again to the local Bikes Are Us store, for who knows what new accessory he claimed he had to have for his beloved bike.

Upon his return an hour or so later, I was just a level or two above comatose. He told me he had a treat for me. I replied that it better not be chocolate, as I had indulged a bit too much of the heavenly sweets lately. No, he assured me, it was not chocolate. Then he instructed me to close my eyes and put out my hands.

I knew before I opened my sand man crusty eyes that it was my new iPhone. I squealed with delight, rocketed off the couch with energy I didn't know I had, and slobbered him with hugs and kisses.
I wasn't supposed to see this phone until I staggered in the door after work that night. But he decided to go out in the morning to buy it so I could mess with it a few hours before work. What a sweetheart!

So now, instead of folding the laundry and catching up on my bills or other annoying tasks such as feeding my family, I am sitting on my duff, purple encased phone in hand. Downloading this or that free app, checking that all my contacts transferred to my new phone, checking in to my facebook app, which is waayy funner than it was on my old phone, may she rest in peace. I'm using my games app to play Angry Birds for the first time (I love those funny sounds the birds make when they croak!), downloading iTunes, etc. From time to time, I'm even making a phone call, or sending a text.

I know I did have a life before this smart phone. But what I have now is even better.

I have a life app. I think I will go tap into it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment