Thursday, April 19, 2012

Being a nurse...what were we thinking?

I just finished talking on the phone to a friend I met in nursing school. We were both commiserating about the good, the bad, and the ugly of our current places of employment.

I remember when I was still in school, thinking I would never be at this point, talking about an actual RN job. After all, I was going to be a student forever, wasn't I?

Our conversation was very enlightening, and it was comforting to share work problems, knowing that they were understood in a way that only another nurse can understand.

In the end, we both agreed that there is no such thing as the perfect job. On the other hand, there comes a time when the bad far outweighs the good. The point when it no longer feels good to walk into work. The point when each shift begins with a vomiting session into the toilet.


Our conversation wasn't all doom and gloom. We did have a few good laughs about some of our crazy, off-the-hook patients. And some eye-rolling, 'I can't believe they did/said that' comments about the staff. 

A nurses arsenal is humor. Like so many of our colleagues, we feel a sense of humor is crucial. Without it, you will sink faster than the Titanic.

Laughter aside, the stress can be overwhelming at times.


So I'm glad my friend called.

It's good to know I'm not the only one feeling like road kill at the end of a shift.

No comments:

Post a Comment