Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Laundry Blues

 
Now that I am a working girl (and I use the term girl rather loosely, as I am fast approaching the dreaded fifty), I am finding out that my free time is very valuable, and in short supply.

For example, I no longer have the luxury of putting off annoying chores such as laundry. This morning, I have a load in the dryer, one in the washer and one on deck. So what's the big deal, you ask? Sounds pretty ordinary, right? Well, if you've been reading my blog for any length of time, you have discovered that there is no such thing as ordinary in my crazy world.



The Laundry Gambler.

It occurred to me that laundry is a lot like a card game. How? Here's the deal. With laundry, you've got to know when to hold them (dirty, smelly socks and boxers are never held for any longer than absolutely necessary). Know when to fold them; for me, this means sometimes the laundry gets folded, sometimes the laundry sits in a heap for weeks. Know when to walk away; when anything (and I do mean anything) comes up that is more interesting than laundry. Know when to run; when the washing machine begins its frightening spin cycle, and menacingly moves towards you while simultaneously causing a small earthquake.

There's more. (Really? She's really adding more to this? Oh god.)

You never count your money, when you're sitting at the table; unless you're washer has died and you are scrounging around for every last quarter you can find. There will be time enough for counting; oh yeah? Try dumping a coffee can full of pennies, counting, wrapping rolls and rushing to the bank and the laundry mat before time runs out and you hear the cries, "I don't have any clean underwear!"

When the dealing's done. I have news for Mr. Kenny Rogers: The card game may be done, but the laundry will never be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment